Benefits of Yoga for CrossFit Athletes
Yoga is a perfect complement to the sport of CrossFit and can benefit athletes of all disciplines, genders, ages and abilities.
When you get into the fitness habit of taking a yoga class designed with the athlete in mind, it will force you to slow down and pay attention to the body you bring into all of your activities.
You’ll be given cues to correct your biomechanics and opportunities to create muscular strength, endurance and flexibility in desirable ranges of motion. This will translate into WOD success naturally as time progresses.
Adding yoga as a complement to your CrossFit WODs can help in a multitude of ways. All you have to do is Google “yoga benefits” to find a long list of reasons why you should include it in your training regime. Some of these benefits include:
- improved joint biomechanics
- conserved energy
- improved strength, endurance and flexibility
- better breathing functioning
- better balance and coordination
- enhanced body awareness (kinesthesia)
- improved mental focus and control
- reduced stress, anxiety, depression and pain
- improved self esteem
- elevated mood
- reduced potential for injury and overuse
- enhanced recovery
- strengthened core stabilizing muscles
- improved posture
- better lymph drainage
- boosted immunity
Yoga can give a CrossFit athlete the opportunity to work on the areas they’re weakest in and can help restore and correct muscle and joint imbalances caused by everyday bad posture habits and poor motor patterns. With time, patience and practice, you can be sure to see a multitude of improvements that transcend yoga exhibited directly in your CrossFit